Visalia Child Pornography Lawyer
Accused of Possessing Obscene Material?
Under the California Penal Code, a range of conduct involving obscene material showing a minor engaging in sexual contact, or “child pornography,” is criminalized. One of the most common examples involves the production and distribution of this material.
If you have been accused or arrested for allegedly producing or collecting obscene material, contact the Law Offices of Christopher Martens to protect your rights.
Child Pornography Charges in Visalia
The California Penal Code considers it a felony to employ, use, or persuade a minor to engage in or assist others in posing or modeling for the purpose of preparing a commercial or noncommercial film or other medium involving sexual conduct by a minor(see Pen. Code, § 311.4(b), (c)). Producing child pornography and posting it on the Internet to induce others to trade such pornography without making a monetary profit satisfies the “commercial purposes” requirement of Penal Code section 311.4(b).
To prove that the defendant is guilty of this crime, prosecutors must prove that:
- The defendant sent or brought obscene matter into California or caused obscene matter to be sent or brought into California; OR the defendant possessed, prepared, published, produced, developed, duplicated, or printed obscene matter; OR the defendant offered to distribute obscene matter to someone else; OR the defendant distributed, showed, or exchanged obscene matter to or with someone else;
- When the defendant acted, he or she knew the character of the matter;
- When the defendant acted, he or she knew that the matter showed a person under the age of 18 years who was personally participating in or simulating sexual conduct; and
- When the defendant acted, he or she intended to sell or distribute, show, or exchange the matter to someone else for money or other commercial benefit.
There are cases in which the content clearly falls within the category of obscene matter showing a minor engaging in sexual contact; however, the state must establish evidence that the material in question was, in fact, obscene.
Matter is considered obscene if, when considered as a whole:
- It shows or describes sexual conduct in an obviously offensive way;
- A reasonable person would conclude that it lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value;
- An average adult person, applying contemporary statewide standards, would conclude it appeals to a prurient interest.
Child Pornography Penalties
If you are convicted for violating a California child pornography law under Penal Code 311, you face a variety of penalties and sentencing, depending on:
- The exact offense with which you are charged;
- Your criminal history; and
- Whether you are charged with a state or federal crime.
Misdemeanor California child pornography sentences can include jail sentences of up to one year and fines of up to $2,500. Felony sentences can include California State Prison sentences between 16 months and 8 years with fines up to $100,000. Defendants with a prior conviction for child pornography or a similar offense may face enhanced penalties. Further, a child pornography conviction will require lifetime registration as a sex offender.
Child PORNOGRAPHY Defense Strategies
Defenses to child pornography related offenses could involve two main areas. The first defense may involve attacking the intent element of the crime. A defendant must knowingly produce, possess, or distribute child pornography; this implies that the defendant was aware that the content was in fact child pornography.
Further, the defendant may also attack the fact that the material is, in fact, obscene and contains serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value, which is not offense to a reasonable member of the community.
Work with a Visalia Sex Crime Defense Attorney
Given the high risk involved with a child pornography charge, it is important to seek experienced counsel if you are the subject of an investigation or are detained by law enforcement. Regardless of whether or not the case proceeds to trial, the seriousness of a child pornography charge in California requires the assistance of a skilled and committed Visalia child pornography defense lawyer who knows every legal argument when defending clients.
If you have been arrested for the crime of child pornography in Visalia, Fresno, or the surrounding areas in California, contact a lawyer as soon as possible to protect your legal rights.
“I highly recommend Christopher Marten attorney at law”- an AVVO client
“Peace of mind during the worst time of my life.”- an AVVO client
“I would recommend this lawyer if you're in need of legal advice or representation”- an AVVO client
We have more than 15 years of legal experience
Mr. Martens has an AVVO rating of 10/10, and is highly recommended by former clients.
Over 1,000 cases successfully handled & over 100 jury trials handled.
We manage criminal defense, personal injury, & estate planning cases.
We offer free consultations not matter the case.
You need a lawyer who has the skill and dedication to achieve the best possible outcome while never losing sight of the priorities most important to you. Find out how we can help you protect your future.