“Precedent plays an important role in promoting stability and evenhandedness,” mentioned by Chief Justice John Roberts of the U.S. Supreme Court. When reversals of long-time decisions such as Roe v. Wade, the court's legitimacy is one that should be questioned by the people, as it is important for our futures in this country.
With the conservative supermajority leading the highest court for the past two terms, rights and even more rights are being taken away without a chance to be redeemed. Those who are impacted by the system as criminal defendants and their legal protections are next.
Here are some constitutional rights that will be soon under threat:
- The Miranda Warning
- The Prohibition on Warrantless Searches and the Exclusionary Rule
- The Right to State-Appointed Counsel and the Right to Effective Assistance of Counsel
- The Right of the Public to Observe Jury Selection in Criminal Trials
- The Right to a Jury Pool That Reflects the Community
- The Right to Exercise Bias-Free Peremptory Challenges
- The Right of Adults and Juveniles to Be Free of Cruel and Unusual Punishment in Sentencing
Each right will be discussed in a series of blog posts and the intervention involving them from the Chief Justices, regarding their stance in overturning them. Due to each right's severity, it is not only exclusive to criminal defendants and their families but those who are already vulnerable to the system without a record or conviction. Posts are expected to be published soon.